Te Tāhuhu Kōrero O Takapau

Takapau is a small rural community in the Central Hawkes Bay in New Zealand. It is located 20 kilometres south west of Waipukurau, off State Highway 2, and has a population of more than 500…

Takapau has been occupied by Māori for many centuries. Oral histories record that the ancestor Whata settled in the Takapau area in the early 1500s, establishing the mana of Te Aitanga-a-Whata, who later became known as Ngāi Tahu (the local Hawke's Bay hapū, not the South Island iwi). The prominent limestone range east of Takapau became known as Ngā Kai Hīnaki a Whata (also referred to as Ngā Kai Hīnaki a Tarawhata), commemorating Whata and his descendants.

The first recorded European journey in the vicinity of Takapau was that of Bishop Selwyn and party in 1842. In the 1850’s Land commissioner Donald McLean made several journeys through the district. At this time several separate Maori communities existed at the edge of the bush, and the first large tracts of land were being taken up for grazing, namely Oruawharo, Ashcott, Burnside and Lambertsford.

During the 1600s, the descendants of Whata and Rangitāne became closely connected through whakapapa, and Horehore pā was established on Te Rangi Tapu a Whata, the central peak of the limestone range. The earthworks of this important pā remain visible today and stand as a significant reminder of the enduring occupation and mana of the local hapū — Ngāi Tahu Makakanui, Ngāi Toroiwaho and Ngāi Te Kikiri o te Rangi — who today identify as Ngāti Kahungunu. (See below the full history)

A few miles north of Norsewood a small bridge spans the narrow stream that is the Manawatu River, and beyond it the road rises and turns before heading towards the Takapau Plains. Near the edge of the plains the early travellers emerged from the deeper gloom of the Seventy Mile Bush and continued through trees that were less dense.

At the southern end of the plains on a rise to the right of the highway (when travelling north) can be seen an area enclosed by trees. Between this area and the road is said to have been the site of the Railway Hotel built and named because it was expected that the railway would be passing nearby. Instead the line went through Kopua and Ormondville.

Also near the southern end of the plains, on the left when travelling north, is a small Maori cemetery. The marble angel rises above the grave of the highly-born Maraea Te Apatu who died in 1928 when she was 104 years of age. At one time a redoubt stood opposite the Takapau cemetery on the highway. It was built of totara planks with double walls, the space between the walls being filled with earth by way of bullet-proofing. The last remaining posts of this place of refuge disappeared about 1918.

Takapau is reached today by branching off the main highway and was originally part of the Orua Wharo Station. It was surveyed in 1876 by James Rochfort of Napier and was named after the nearby Takapau pa.

The railway was opened there on 12 March 1877. Orua Wharo was taken up in 1852 by John Johnston (later the Hon.) founder of the firm Johnston and Company Ltd., Wellington. During that year he walked through Hawke's Bay with John Harding (later of Mount Vernon) and Alex St Clair Inglis and on his return to Wellington he applied for the lease of 9,280 acres.

The property was run for him by St Clair Inglis and Charles Gully, the latter being a relative of artist John Gully, until Johnston's second son, Sydney Johnston, arrived to take over the management of the station. Sydney Johnston eventually became the owner of Orua Wharo, which expanded to 17 ,260 acres, and his homestead became a well known landmark in the district.

Te Rongo-ō-Tahu Marae -                                                                          Hītori

Te taumata whāngaitanga i ngā whetū anga atua
He toka ahurewa, he toka pounamu
Ara ko Te Toi ā Uru o te Rangitapu-a-Whata

Ko te pā Horehore
Ko Puera kei runga
Ko Whatumā kei raro

Ko Ngāi Tahu Mākakanui, Ngāi Toroiwaho
me Ngāi Te Kikiri-o-te-Rangi ngā hapū.
Ko Takitimu te waka
Ko Ngāti Kahungunu te iwi
Tihei Mauri Ora!

 

English version

The sacred summit where the stars are nourished, 
A place where the heavens and the atua meet. 
A steadfast rock of enduring strength, 
A sacred rock of immeasurable worth that holds the memories of our ancestors. 
Behold - Te Toi ā Uru (name of the rock) that sits atop Te Rangi Tapu-a-Whata. 

Horehore Pā is the fortress 
Puera is above 
Whatumā rests below. 
Together embracing the whenua that has sustained generations. Guardians of stories told,
of people bound, and of the mauri that breathes through this sacred ground. 

Here dwell the descendants of Ngāi Tahu Mākakanui, Ngāi Toroiwaho, and Ngāi Te Kikiri-o-te-Rangi. 
Our ancestral canoe is Takitimu 
Our people are Ngāti Kahungunu. 
The life force rises, the spirit lives on 
Tihei Mauri Ora! 

Te Rongo-ō-Tahu Marae comprises three distinct hapū: Ngāi Tahu Mākakanui, Ngāi Toroiwaho, and Ngāi Te Kikiri-o-te-Rangi. 

In the earliest days of our presence on this land, we were of the ancestor Whata of the waka Kurahaupō, known as Te Aitanga-ā-Whata. We lived upon these lands with our ancestor Tangowhiti of Rangtāne, son of Tamakuku. Tangowhiti was a descendant of Nukutoia, brother of Kupe, establishing our presence on this land since the 10th century. 

In time, these two whakapapa lines were joined once more through the marriage of Hinerautekawa (granddaughter of Hamua) and Rakaimaro. We became known as Ngāi Tahu Mākakanui, and later as Ngāi Toroiwaho. With the expansion of Kahungunu into this region, we became Ngāti Kahungunu, and in turn, Ngāi Te Kikiri-o-te-Rangi.

We are the descendants of these original inhabitants, and we remain here today. Our ancestors' occupation of these lands has continued unbroken to the present day.

Today, we are the kaitiaki of our ancient stories and place names. Te Rongo-ō-Tahu Marae is now rebuilding a new marae in Takapau so that these stories may be preserved for our children and grandchildren. This new marae will also give current hapū members — and the many generations to come — a place to connect, to learn, to laugh, and to celebrate all that our ancestors have left for us.

 

Railway station - Takapau had a railway station from 12 March 1877 to 27 September 1981. It was the terminus of the line from Spit for 10 months, until 25 January 1878, when the extension to Kopua opened. Takapau at that time was on the northern edge of the Seventy Mile Bush.

Edmund Allan and Samuel Kingstreet had a £14,100 contract to build the 14 mi (23 km) extension of the Napier to Waipukurau railway south to Takapau. They built a 5th class station in 1875 and Donald McLeod, a Waipukurau carpenter, built a goods shed and platform in 1877. Initially, only one train a day ran from Takapau then in 1890 there were two trains a day. In 1879 when the chief, bearing a grudge against the railways in general and one of its guards in particular, led a raiding party to stop the train.

There was a post office at the station from 1887 to 1911. By 1896 there were 30 ft (9.1 m) x 20 ft (6.1 m) and 40 ft (12 m) x 30 ft (9.1 m) goods sheds and also a cart approach, loading bank, cattle yards, stationmaster's house, urinals and a passing loop for 24 wagons, extended to 55 in 1911 and further extended in 1940. In 1905 a verandah was added and the platform extended. Electric lights were installed in 1921. Railway houses were built in 1928 and 1946.

On 27 September 1981 the old station closed and a new station and loop line opened near Oruawharo, 3.78 km (2.35 mi)[26] to the east. The loop is still in use, with sidings linking to the Silver Fern Farms works and a platform and shelter remain, which appear weed-grown in a 2015 photo. There has been no regular passenger train since at least 1995. There is now only a single line passing through the original Takapau station site.

There was also a passing loop at Whenuahou, 4 mi 42 ch (7.3 km) south of Takapau, which was originally used for construction of the viaduct to the south.

When the Takapau township was surveyed he donated sections for the school, Catholic, Anglican and Presbyterian churches, and was also most generous with his gifts towards public amenities. At various times the homestead was used as a vice-regal residence by Lord Plunket during the absence of the family in England and by Lord Jellicoe in 1923.

Orua Wharo was considered to be 100 years old in 1953. There were preparations for the station's centenary and among other functions a dinner and ball had been arranged with piles of invitations waiting to be posted. In the midst of all the organising the celebrations were suddenly cancelled when Sydney Johnston's grandson, thirty year old Sydney Christopher Rolleston, the only son and heir to Orua Wharo, was killed in a tractor accident.

In 1965 the homestead with sixty-two acres was given to the Roman Catholic Church with the object of eventually establishing a preparatory school for Roman Catholic boys. This scheme did not eventuate and the Orua Wharo homestead is now used for wedding receptions and other functions. To reach it the road branches east from the Takapau township. 

St Vincent's Church was relocated from Meta street to Oruawharo Homestead back in 2012 and is now used as a venue for functions.

The Burnside property was also on the Takapau Plains. It was taken up in 1854 by Alexander Grant and was a long narrow area of 13,000 acres lying between two rivers and within a few miles of the Seventy Mile Bush.

In February, 1888, a month before the great Norsewood fire, a blaze broke out on Grant's Burnside run and threatened to sweep the whole countryside. It was Sunday and the Rev. E.H. Granger happened to be riding to take a service at Takapau. He galloped to where the congregation was assembled at the schoolhouse and took the men to fight the fire at Burnside. Their combined efforts saved the homestead. In 1888 £1,500 was raised by public subscription for the relief of those who had suffered by bush fires.

Takapau was once the centre of a large flax milling industry, and the community takes its name from the flax that grew in the expansive Takapau plains. The Māori word translates literally as "mat" or "carpet".

 

The Takapau RSA and War Memorials
From the days of First World War, Takapau and district has maintained a close relationship with the nation’s military. This connection began in 1914 via the Wellington Military District’s divisional camp at Oruawharo. It was a large camp requiring two train loads of equipment to stage. A total of about 5,000 men received their initial army training here before heading off to war. Also during the war, there was a Takapau branch of the Hawkes Bay War Relief Association. After the First World War most towns and many small villages, including Takapau, erected a memorial commemorating those who had made the ultimate sacrifice. This practice continued after the Second World War and subsequent military and service operations.

The RSA
On the 12th of April 1929, a group of returned servicemen met in the Library in the town hall, and formed an executive committee to establish a local branch of the RSA. A month later, on the 10th of May, they convened a general meeting held in the town hall supper room. It was attended by forty three people. Thus the Takapau Returned Services Association was formally established. The executive committee comprised : N. Tilley (President), F. de Stacpoole (V. President), J. McKenna (secretary), G.W. May (Treasurer), C.J. Smith, W.J. Smith, J.Hamilton, A.J. Allen. The President, Norman Tilley, a local farmer, remained in office for six years. He became president again in 1946 and went on to become a very prominent member of both the regional and national RSA. In 1949 he was awarded a Gold Star with a Certificate of Merit in recognition of this service. Once established the RSA functioned as an advocate for the rights of returned service people and their widows, and also raised funds for local charities such as the building of the Plunket Rooms. They also organised the ANZAC day parade and service as well as an annual ball. From the 1929 beginning to the 1950s the RSA met in the town hall. In the mid 1950's members were canvassed whether or not to build their own club rooms. Sufficient funds were raised and the rooms were subsequently built adjacent to the cenotaph with voluntary labour. The club rooms were formally opened on the 4th of July 1959 by the Dominion President of the RSA, Ken Fraser. The Takapau RSA with its proud heritage, continues the work of those who founded the association in 1929. The building is well maintained and in good repair, and features modern facilities. There is a strong membership of over 100 paid-up members. The RSA not only provides support for the few remaining local service people and their families but also supports other community initiatives. The clubrooms are regularly used for family occasions, happy and sad, and by various associations of Central Hawkes Bay. The successful continuity of the Takapau RSA over the past 98 years is a direct result of those local people who served on the committees, and the presidents who lead these committees. Of note are the two longest serving ones, Adrian Ross, 1980-93 and Andy Kells, 2001-14. Both served 13 years during times when armed service of any sort was not popular with some sections of the community. Without the dedication of these two presidents the Takapau RSA may not have survived.

Takapau Soldiers' Memorial Cenotaph
The Cenotaph was unveiled by the nationally prominent run holder of the Wairarapa, D.H.F. Biddeford, esquire, on ANZAC day, 1922. The statue of the soldier was purchased from London with monies raised by the people of Takapau and district.

 

The largest business in Takapau is now the Silverfern Farms meat-processing plant, founded by the Hawke's Bay Farmers’ Meat Company in 1981.

Kintail Honey, one of country's largest honey-packing and beekeeping operations, is also based in the town and has been family owned since 1947. Kintail Honey was established and has been beekeeping in the area since 1947. James Ward moved the base from Dannevirke to Takapau in 1976. The company is now run by Damien and Jason Ward the third generation in the business.

Taylor Made Gates is a family-owned business established in 2004 by Lincon and Julayne Taylor, together with their sons, Corbin and Travis, manufacturing an array of farm products with a strong focus on quality craftsmanship and local service. Originally site set on the corner of Charlotte Street and Sydney Street, where the old service station once owned by Bill Millar and Noel Oliver around 1971. Prior to that, the premises were operated by Roy and Basil Hames from 1945. Today, Taylor Made Gates proudly continues its strong local heritage while remaining family owned and operated.

Takapau Four Square - In 1988 the community purchased the Wrightson Dalgety Building which had housed the Hawkes Bay Farmers Co-op Assn from 1925. The Takapau Community Charitable Trust’s objective was to ensure a viable grocery business remained in the community. It was run by Ross & Delwyn Oliver with Andrew & Wendy Burt in later years. Presently leased by Harry & Bel Singh

 

Education

Takapau School is a Year 1–8 co-educational state primary school, with a roll of 114 as of May 2026. The school opened in 1879. Takapau Primary School’s Motto is Ma te tikanga ka tangata. "Manners Maketh Man.

The school has six classrooms, will all be renovated into 21st Century learning environments with new carpet installed in May 2026. They have a large New Entrant /Year 1 / Year 2 classroom, which is very well equipped for this age group, they also have a school hall, library.

The outdoor facilities include a fully utilized swimming pool, netball courts, junior and senior adventure playgrounds, an enclosed sandpit and a 350m limestone bike track around the perimeter of the school field.  They also own 50 bikes, which enables everyone to benefit from the cycle track. They have had a brand new turf laid at the beginning of 2022 that encompasses our courts for Netball, Basketball and Patter Tennis. They are very proud of their children and environment and welcome any visitors to the school. 

Te Kura Kaupapa Māori o Takapau is a “special natured school” that provides an exciting education which is guided by “Te Aho Matua”, an education philosophy embodied within the Māori language and customs, supported by our Kaumatua and enhanced by Whānau values. The school opened in 1994 and is a Year 1–8 is a co-educational school.

The Whānau of the Kura are delighted to be in a position to provide an education that is unique to that of a mainstream system, thus using Tikanga Māori as a foundation to facilitate knowledge within a friendly user’s environment.

Our local Marae Rākautātahi is used as a medium to enhance the children’s learning to ensure that the children of Te Kura Kaupapa Māori o Takapau have a complete understanding of Marae practices and other traditions associated with iwi and Tikanga Māori. We also have a very close relationship with all the Marae with in the Tamatea Ārikinui district through the Tamatea Ārikinui Taiwhenua. We also have whakapapa links with Marae outside of our area.

The commitment of the whānau is to provide an education embedded in all curriculum areas to ensure that the children of this Kura view education and life in a positive manner.

It is essential then that the child’s hinengaro, wairua and tinana are nurtured within a positive environment, to ensure a positive attitude to stand proud and confident in both the Māori and Pākeha worlds.

Te Kōhanga Reo o Te Rongopai o Takapau - Located 18 Walter St, Te Kōhanga Reo o Te Rongopai o Takapau is a te kōhanga reo in Takapau, with children currently enrolled aged 0–5 years. It’s well suited for families wanting total immersion in te reo Māori and kaupapa Māori, with strong community and whānau involvement. Te Kōhanga Reo centres are Māori immersion environments committed to the revitalisation of te reo Māori, with learning led by whānau and grounded in kaupapa Māori. They cater to families who want their tamariki fully immersed in Māori language and cultural practices, fostering strong identity, confidence, and intergenerational language transmission.

Takapau Play Centre
On Meta St - Is open every Monday & Wednesday 8.30am-12.30pm during term time. Free ECE Service. Play centre values parents as the first & best educators for their tamariki.

 

Social and Sports

Takapau is blessed with many social facilities and clubs servicing the community. There is the Frair Tucks Fish & Chips shop, RSA, Health Centre, Pony Club, Rock ‘n’ Roll Group, Play Centre and Woman’s Institute - which is one of the oldest branches established in 1924. There is also the Art Centre and no community would be complete without the local Takapau Volunteer Fire Brigade.

The Takapau Memorial Sports Building and grandstand with Memorial gates is Council owned. The site also includes club owned buildings for the RSA and Lions Club as well as houses the Cenotaph.

The New Health Centre: The Takapau New Build Project has reached a major milestone.
Purpose built relocated Building is being planned on the corner of Meta St & Charlotte St –Scout Hall
This next phase is about bringing the whole site together — transforming it into a fully functional, welcoming, and connected community hub.
Stage 2 includes:

  • Refurbishing the Scout Hall into a flexible community space
  • Creating safe access, parking, and pathways
  • Landscaping the site to reflect our identity and values

Thanks to the incredible support of our community and donors, we have already raised over $120,000 toward this stage.
We now need to raise the remaining funds to complete the project - $380,000
This is where we invite our wider community, whānau, and supporters to stand with us.
This centre is more than a building — it is about access to care, connection, and a stronger future for Takapau. This should be operational later in 2026

Memorial Park is home to the Takapau Rugby, Netball, and Squash clubs, and includes a skate park. The gates were dedicated and park formally opened on the 6th April 1957 by General Sir Howard Kippenburger. Takapau RSA members formed the guard of honour.

The Takapau Tennis Club has clubrooms and 11 tennis courts, 11 courts; 3 astroturf, 6 grass, 2 hardcourts also marked for netball (Club owns all facilities). Before that the club has been using the town's former Bowling Green for two spare grass courts for more than a decade. But after wandering cattle destroyed the surface, the club voted to develop the area into painted concrete courts servicing both tennis and netball.

The Takapau Squash Club owns the lounge and squash court attached to the end of council’s building.

The Takapau Indoor Bowling season has once again already begun. Running from March through until October. They meet at the Takapau Primary School Hall

Takapau Rugby Football Club is one of the oldest established Rugby Clubs in the Hawkes Bay. In August 2011 they celebrated their 125th Jubilee. Takapau Rugby Football Club was established in 1886 and has a lot of history which they can be extremely proud of. The club has a senior 3rd's along with all the junior rugby teams. The Takapau Rugby Club own the adjacent and standalone changing rooms. The “club rooms” as such is the main building.

Takapau golf course is a twelve hole golf course that incorporates two eighteen hole golf courses. It has some of the most challenging holes in Hawkes Bay. At the local golf club the names of some of their nine holes include: Dardanelles, Lone Pine, and Hill 60, these names are associated with the Gallipoli campaign of the First World War.

Rakautatahi Marae
At Te Poho o Whatuiapiti marae, Rakautatahi on State Highway Two, the Wharekai (dining hall) is named Te Rau Aroha after the famed YMCA canteen truck that catered to the overseas 28th Maori Battalion. It was bought through funds raised by Māori school children throughout Aotearoa. Today the vehicle, Te Rau Aroha, is permanently housed at the National Army Museum, Waiouru. The western wall of the Wharekai has a large mural dedicated to the two world wars. It features panoramas from the pyramids of Egypt to Monte Cassino in Italy.

The Takapau Public Cemetery on State Highway Two has a Returned Services section. It features a flag pole and memorial plaques marking the graves of service people.

Conclusion

All of the Takapau community is connected by a strategic plan with specific goals that means that they can stay focused on their own development. They also are making sure that they are well connected with the wider Hawke’s Bay communities through sports, culture, and tourism thereby ensuring that the youth of the town can see clear opportunities as they grow.

 

Some of the history references: Warren Bayliss Takapau The Sovereign Years 1876-1976 Hart Printing House Ltd. Takapau RSA Minute Books and records Unpublished.